The proper worship of God

Plaats reactie
Bert Mulder
Contacteer:

The proper worship of God

Bericht door Bert Mulder »

There is legitimate concern expressed in some circles that worship services are dead, dry, stale, colorless formalities. Then people search high and low, far and near, to be moved, to find something impressive in worship.

They climb the liturgical ladder to the heavens (or are chased up by preachers), crying out, "Is the moving worship service here?" Then there are testimonials to jerk tears, altar calls to spur on the emotions, a nationally known quartet, or a weekly change in worship because novelty excites.

But it is not there.

So they descend the liturgical ladder down to the depths; and try drama and dance and even rock bands. Or it is an outdoor service on the front lawn, or a puppet show or film.

And, as praiseworthy as their motives might be, it is not there either.

The solution is nigh thee, in thy heart, in the Word of faith preached soundly! (see Romans 10:8).

What is impressive in a worship service? God's people are impressed in the worship service by a powerful sermon expounding the truths of the sovereign grace of God for helpless sinners. God's people are impressed by a worship service in which the congregation sings lustily the God-glorifying songs of Zion because they were moved by the Spirit in the preaching of the gospel of grace. God's people are impressed when the children, at the elbows of their parents, sing along because they have been taught the Psalms at home and school. God's people are impressed when the offering plate is passed and God's people quietly give their widow's mite for the kingdom cause, because the Scripture says so.

Let us not pour artificial stimulants into our worship, burning strange fire on the altar. Let us have preachers who pore over the Word of God so they can bring a rock solid, Reformed message of the gospel to the congregation. Let us have worshipers who come prepared, reverently calling upon the God of their salvation, eager to do what worship really is: Declaring the worth of their great God.

Then we will be impressed. Then the Spirit will move. Then God's church will be saved.
Read the whole pamphlet:

http://www.prca.org/pamphlets/pamphlet_38.html
Mijn enige troost is, dat ik niet mijn, maar Jezus Christus eigen ben, Die voor mijn zonden betaald heeft, en zo bewaart, dat alles tot mijn zaligheid dienen moet; waarom Hij mij ook door Zijn Heilige Geest van eeuwig leven verzekert, en Hem voortaan te leven van harte willig en bereid maakt.
memento

Bericht door memento »

De boodschap van genade verveelt (als het goed is!) nooit. Zoals de hymn-dichter zong:

[align=center]
I love to tell the story,
'twill be my theme in glory,
to tell the old, old story
of Jesus and his love.
[/align]
jvdg

Re: The proper worship of God

Bericht door jvdg »

Bert Mulder schreef:
There is legitimate concern expressed in some circles that worship services are dead, dry, stale, colorless formalities. Then people search high and low, far and near, to be moved, to find something impressive in worship.
Then we will be impressed. Then the Spirit will move. Then God's church will be saved.
For me is worshipping a full, but impossible, fullfillment of the commends of our Lord, based on the wonderfull Saviour by Him of the souls of sinners.

However the knowledge of my heart/soul makes myself unable to do this.

When I have to judge my works I have to tell you that I am really unable to reach the minority of the Lord's desirements.

I am fully depending of the works of the Holy Spirit.

Best regards!
Bert Mulder
Contacteer:

I can fully agree with the response here of both Jvdg and Memento.

And who is sufficient in all these things?

By grace alone.

But He always accomplishes His purpose.
Mijn enige troost is, dat ik niet mijn, maar Jezus Christus eigen ben, Die voor mijn zonden betaald heeft, en zo bewaart, dat alles tot mijn zaligheid dienen moet; waarom Hij mij ook door Zijn Heilige Geest van eeuwig leven verzekert, en Hem voortaan te leven van harte willig en bereid maakt.
jvdg

Bericht door jvdg »

Bert Mulder schreef:I can fully agree with the response here of both Jvdg and Memento.

By grace alone.

Thanks for your agreement!

But, at the end of the day; Thanks to our LORD, and wait for His mercy. However and although for His Grace!
jvdg

Bericht door jvdg »

jvdg schreef:
Bert Mulder schreef:I can fully agree with the response here of both Jvdg and Memento.

By grace alone.

Thanks for your agreement!

But, at the end of the day; Thanks to our LORD, and wait for His mercy. However and although for His Grace!
My Lord, is my Shepherd!!!!!!!

Glory to our Lord, for ever and always!

My wish to everyone!
mayflower

Bericht door mayflower »

The proper of worship for me is according the regulative principle of worship, see:

http://www.reformed.com/pub/sola.htm

No music intruments, see :

http://www.reformed.com/pub/music.htm

http://www.fpcr.org/girardeau/Girardeau ... 0Music.htm
rekcor

Bericht door rekcor »

pamphlet schreef:What is impressive in a worship service? God's people are impressed in the worship service by a powerful sermon expounding the truths of the sovereign grace of God for helpless sinners. God's people are impressed by a worship service in which the congregation sings lustily the God-glorifying songs of Zion because they were moved by the Spirit in the preaching of the gospel of grace. God's people are impressed when the children, at the elbows of their parents, sing along because they have been taught the Psalms at home and school. God's people are impressed when the offering plate is passed and God's people quietly give their widow's mite for the kingdom cause, because the Scripture says so.
By framing it like this, the author suggests people who disagree with it to be not (or at least: are not fully) living like 'Gods people'.

In my humble opinion, this kind of reasoning is a very dangerous one, and one of the main reasons for the large amount of denominations among protestant churches. When I read the pamphlet, I heard echoes of president Bush' "whoever is not our ally, is our enemy" bouncing through my head.

Of course I'm impressed by the things mentioned in the article, but I'm also impressed by people singing songs like:

"All my folks have gone before me,
All my friends and all my kin;
But I'll meet with them up yonder,
When the saint go marchin´in.

Oh when the saint go marchin´in,
I will meet them all up in heaven,
When the saint go marchin´in. "

I'm also impressed by musicians, praising God on their (electric) guitars.

I'm also impressed by children worshipping God in their own, honest, childlike way (in stead of singing 17th century hymns they slightly understand)
jvdg

Bericht door jvdg »

Maybe it is too simple, but I refer to the heading of the Ten Commandments: All of you, your love is to and for Him above everything, and beneath of this is your love for everyone and is the same as you like yourself.
Bert Mulder
Contacteer:

rekcor schreef:
I'm also impressed by children worshipping God in their own, honest, childlike way (in stead of singing 17th century hymns they slightly understand)

And where do they still sing 17th century hymns, pray tell?

(besides some songs like Wilhelmus and others?)
Plaats reactie