Calvin and the Covenant of Grace

Plaats reactie
Flynn

Calvin and the Covenant of Grace

Bericht door Flynn »

I thought this may be of interest to some:
For, since the fall of Adam had brought disgrace upon all his posterity, God restores those, whom He separates as His own, so that their condition may be better than that of all other nations. At the same time it must be remarked, that this grace of renewal is effaced in many who have afterwards profaned it. Consequently the Church is called God's work and creation, in two senses, i.e., generally with respect to its outward calling, and specially with respect to spiritual regeneration, as far as regards the elect; for the covenant of grace is common to hypocrites and true believers. On this ground all whom God gathers into His Church, are indiscriminately said to be renewed and regenerated: but the internal renovation belongs to believers only; whom Paul, therefore, calls God's "workmanship, created unto good works, which God hath prepared, etc." (Ephesians 2:10.). Calvin, Deut 32:6.
Isaiah does not illustrate every part of the metaphor; nor was it necessary; for it was enough to point out what was its object. The whole nation was the vineyard; the individual men were the plants. Thus he accuses the whole body of the nation, and then every individual; so that no man could escape the universal condemnation, as if no part of the expostulation had been addressed to himself. Why the nation is called a vineyard is plain enough; for the Lord chose it, and admitted it to the covenant of grace and of eternal salvation, and bestowed on it innumerable blessings. The planting is the commencement, and the dressing of it follows. That nation was adopted, and in various respects was the object of Divine care; for the adoption would have been of no avail, if the Lord had not continually adorned and enriched it by his blessings. The same doctrine ought to be inculcated on us at the present day. Christ affirms that he is the vine, (John 15:1,) and that, having been ingrafted into this vine, we are placed under the care of the Father; for God is pleased to perform towards us the office of a husbandman, and continually bestows those favors which he reproachfully asserts that he had granted to his ancient people. We need not wonder, therefore, if he is greatly enraged when he bestows his labor uselessly and to no purpose. Hence that threatening, Every branch in me that beareth not fruit, he will cut off, and cast into the fire. (John 15:2,6.). Calvin, Isaiah 5:7
I love Calvin. He is my all-time favourite theologian.

David
jvdg

Bericht door jvdg »

Most of the members of this forum agree with your opinion about Calvin.

But, be convinced, Calvin too was only a tool in the Hands of God!!
Polemicus

Bericht door Polemicus »

jvdg schreef:Most of the members of this forum agree with your opinion about Calvin.

Really? Dr. Steenblok completely rejected that the promises of God are common to hypocrites and true believers, though they only sort effect if believed (as a gift of God). So do many still today, in discord with Calvin.
jvdg

Bericht door jvdg »

Polemicus schreef:
jvdg schreef:Most of the members of this forum agree with your opinion about Calvin.

Really? Dr. Steenblok completely rejected that the promises of God are common to hypocrites and true believers, though they only sort effect if believed (as a gift of God). So do many still today, in discord with Calvin.
I was not talking about Dr. Steenblok.
I only said that most of us are (in fact) Calvinists.
Bert Mulder
Contacteer:

Bericht door Bert Mulder »

jvdg schreef:I only said that most of us are (in fact) Calvinists.
And is in fact a membership condition of this forum.
Mijn enige troost is, dat ik niet mijn, maar Jezus Christus eigen ben, Die voor mijn zonden betaald heeft, en zo bewaart, dat alles tot mijn zaligheid dienen moet; waarom Hij mij ook door Zijn Heilige Geest van eeuwig leven verzekert, en Hem voortaan te leven van harte willig en bereid maakt.
Plaats reactie